Monday, May 12, 2008

I Know, I know!!

One of my favorite movies is Center Stage. In it there's a girl who is constantly arriving to her dance class late. At once point she walks in and her instructor gives her the look. She simply responds, "I know, I know!" So now you understand the subject line. *chagrin* I am SO behind on the blog. I know!!!

But I'm going to make up for it by sharing lots of news!!

First off, I have a title!!! My book will be called . . . *drumroll* WINGS!

The biggest objection to Autumn Wings was that the lovely marketing folks at Harper Collins wanted the book to seem relevant all year round, not just in the Autumn (especially since it is not being released in the Fall.) Well Tara and I tossed around literally dozens of titles and twice as many buzz words trying to come up with a better title. In the end, we decided that the original title was the best, minus the season. So there you have it. WINGS by Aprilynne Pike will be coming out next summer from Harper Collins. *squee!*

Also, Tara and I have been talking about my cover and man, it is going to be gorgeous!!! They will be doing a photo shoot for my cover which, I didn't know at the time, is apparently something special, so . . . go me, I guess.;) Look for actual cover art, probably next month.

Also, one of the funnest things about being an author is that people send you ARCs (Advanced Reading Copies). That means I get to read some of the upcoming books before they come out. (Last time Tara sent me revisions I got a batch that won't be out till September. Very cool!) So I've decided that since they are sending them to me, I should do something with them. So I'll be reviewing and recommending books that are coming out here on Apparently!

I was officially accepted to the Maui Writers Retreat this week, so if any of you are going, please let me know!! I intend to meet up with as many writer friends as possible at this retreat and if you are there, I would hate to miss you. (For starters, Sarah Rees Brennan and Pat Wood are going and I am SO excited to meet both of them IRL!!) . . . and the fact that it is held in Maui at a beach-front hotel isn't hurting my feelings either.;)

And lastly, I am going to NYC this summer to meet with my editor and various (and very scary) members of the HC team. I am also reserving one night to socialize, so if you are in the NY area and want to get together, let me know. I'll have firm dates sometime soon.:)

So hopefully you will all forgive me for not blogging for almost two weeks, (I know, I suck!) but I will do better and look for a review of STEALING HEAVEN later this week.

Ciao!

8 comments:

JKB said...

Very cool! I'll be watching for it!

WINGS sounds great!

cindy said...

congrats on the final title and debut in about a year! so exciting! also jealous of your trip to maui--tho i'll be going to scbwi in los angeles in august. excited about that! keep us posted no more good news! can't wait to see the cover.

Carbonneau said...

oooooh...Maui. How fun! Take lots of pics! and congrats...WINGS!

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you're aware but there is a YA book out there right now called Wings by E.D. Baker and it's about a girl who is a fairy....I know many books have the same names, but just wanted to give you a heads up.

Aprilynne said...

I know. I sent the cover in to my editor and she said that the marketing people don't consider that book in competition with mine so. *Shrug* They're the experts, I guess.;)

Thanks for pointing that out though!

Jamie Ford said...

Congrats on the new title, and for heading out to Maui. I love it there. I've cast my lot with the writers at Squaw Valley (going there next year as an alumni reader), but maybe one of these years I'll find my way back to Hawaii.

Deanna said...

Hello!
I live in Ontario, Canada and I few months ago I had the privilege of reading WINGS. Let me just say...it was an amazing story. I couldn't stop thinking about it. During school all I wanted to talk about was this book, and that is very rare for me!
Thank you for writing a book that I love so much! I sent in a great recommendation letter to the publisher for WINGS.
I can't wait until the next few come out!!!
Deanna <3

alex•widstrand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.